Thursday, March 15, 2007

Out of the Spotlight

Forgive me for the rare posting on this blog; as you know, I've been terribly busy lately - not to mention strapped for cash - and I seem to have pushed blogging for Domesticity further and further down the priority list. But for now, I've got a few things on my mind....

  • 40 Days and 40 Nights of Beauty Reviews (Blogdorf Goodman): It looks like we now have a new Lenten tradition at hand right here - perfect since I've started my no-shop fasting for Lent this year (really, I haven't stepped into a Ross since Ash Wednesday). Annie and friends are taking us through the fragrance and beauty aisles in alphabetical order (we're now on L'Occitane as of this writing) , and I of course have a few choice comments to go along with them.
  • Is it me, or are we finally over this whole cheek-stain thing? I was inspired to ask this after reading this review from Beauty Addict - and for good reason, since I'm one of those folks who can't seem to get the whole cheek-stain thing correctly. Too little, and the color barely registers as a "glow"; too much, and I look like a sunburned clown. (And don't even get me started on using powder to tone it down, because "overly powdered Chinese funeral mourner" is definitely not a good look on me.) The folks at Tarte recently posted a sign at Sephora next to their Cheekstains telling folks that it's OK to use a sponge instead of dabbing the product onto cheeks, which I think is a good idea. For now, however, I'll still need to stick to my usual routine of bronzer and powder blush swirled together.
  • Finally, since not shopping for clothes = not shopping for shoes, either, I've found myself on a window-shopping kick for beautiful shoes. Sure, there's no way in hell I will ever be able to fit into any of your fancier designer shoes - seriously, even if I had the cash I don't see my 8.5 Wide tootsies squishing comfortably into a stiletto-heeled sandal soon - but that shouldn't stop me from appreciating the comments of Manolo Blahnik, who apparently shares my no-platform philosophy at this point in time. And speaking of Manolos, I should share with you this flashback from The Life of a Ladybug. Because someday, when I finally get around to finishing this Masters degree, I hope to have the kind of significant other who will, indeed, go out of his way to make sure that I get the royal treatment I deserve. Especially when it comes to shoes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Meimei! Vic is, indeed, a rare breed - a decent, loving guy who goes out of his way to see me happy. He's a keeper!

Unknown said...

You're very welcome, Toya! That's one of the reasons why I decided to highlight this passage - not just for the shoes but for the whole experience and how Vic went out of his way to make sure you got the shoes (in every possible meaning of the word). Definitely a keeper. Hopefully I will get my own Vic... and with the shoes to match!