Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Once Upon A Look(let): A Diva Is Remixed

Let me get something out of the way: Charice, the teenaged Filipino singing sensation who's currently touring with David Foster right now? Love her. Lurve her.

This look, on the other hand? Do not lurve.



And while the Chuvaness Army is currently debating whether or not this look is age-appropriate, my beef with this is that it's not very original. True, I like the big hair... but the hair and the overcooked fake-bake, together? Too. Much. Look. And Charice's God-given features are too delicate to pull it all off.

At first I thought they were trying to make Charice look like Leona Lewis, but after listening to Charice hit those high notes, it dawned on me:

The stylists in charge just tried to turn a 17-year old Filipina into MARY J. BLIGE!

Folks, let me tell you what a bad idea this is: There is only one Mary J. Blige. I know this because I grew up in the age of New Jack Swing, and Lord knows how many times I've re-watched her live performance of "No More Drama" at the 2002 Grammys. Plus, as much as I would love to hear Charice covering "I'm Goin' Down" or "Reminisce," I can't imagine her even touching a single hair on Mary's weave, let alone biting her whole style.

Besides, if the folks really wanted C. to pay homage to the Queen of Hip-Hop Soul, they might as well go all the way...


In fairness, I'm probably suggesting this because I used to rock a near-exact version of this very outfit (including the newsboy cap) when I was Charice's age. Seriously, though, isn't this a good midpoint between cutesy and sexy? Not to mention height-enhancing, what with the striped pants and the nice shoes. I would probably swap out the cap for the purple fedora that Mary J. favors, but otherwise I think this should be fine.

Also, something tells me that Charice's stylists in Manila should do themselves a favor and text-message the folks who dress up Anna Maria Perez de Tagle, pronto. (Or Anna Maria herself, if she's even up for it.) Seriously, I think those girls should swap wardrobes, because I can totally see Charice rocking the off-shoulder tees better... and, admit it, isn't it about time Anna put the flat iron away, at least once?

No comments: