Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Our Time in Eden: The Polyvore Set

One of my many new writing projects involves a semi-autobiographical coming of age story set in Indonesia, where I lived during the early Nineties. Yes, I still can't believe it's been twenty years since grunge started taking a hold on popular culture, and I still think that there's a part of me that regrets a lot of the boneheaded things I used to do in the name of Kurt Cobain.

Like many of my writing projects, however, I have also begun the process of developing characterization through art-direction... and since it is a semi-autobiographical story, I might as well do a little wardrobe editing so that the folks in my story would wear the things that I wish I'd worn during that time, as opposed to the things I actually wore in the process.

my time in eden


This Polyvore set is chock full of items that I would have worn If I Had Known Sooner, which explains why I passed on the Doc Martens and Colors de Benetton in favor of espadrilles and Midnight Pomegranate. Then again, it's not like I'm denying the fact that I wore red lipstick with winged black eyeliner practically almost single day, so you can't say that I didn't try hard enough.

Which brings us to a new feature here on Domesticity.

Polyvore now has the Mini-Editor feature, which invites readers to put together their own Polyvore set on this blog. Think of it as taking a shot at doing your own set based on the given theme of each entry - like  Design*Sponge, but more interactive. You don't necessarily have to have a Polyvore account to work with the editor; in fact, you can even add more items if the selections (shown below) leave a lot to be desired.

And since the theme for this entry is "grunge," I'd like to see your own interpretation of the grunge years, for a change. Did you wear your Doc Martens with pride? Did you buy a lot of flannel shirts because of Eddie Vedder? How many fashion and music cues did you take from Sassy magazine? (Or did you even start reading Sassy in the first place, after getting sick and tired of all those side-ponytailed tarts on Teen and YM? Because truth to tell, by the time I was a junior in high school, I was more than happy to trade in my copies of Sassy for Allure and Entertainment Weekly.) Or did you miss it by a few generations, and would be more than happy to get creative with it in the first place?

That's our intro for this entry. Now get to work!


Get your own Mini Editor from Polyvore

No comments: