Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Case for a Super Sweet 16

Happy Birthday, Michelle Wie.

Yes, you're rich, you're famous, you'll be paparazzi fodder for the next few years. I don't know about golf, and if you ask me I was far from fabulous when I was your age. (Heck, I would have given anything to rock the dangling earrings when I was your age.) But take it from a sister who knows: You may be still young, but every decision you make from here on forward will have an impact on who you will become in the future. And it's going to suck even more when you've got the press on your tail.

I could give you some practical advice, like putting on sunblock, ignoring the media, not dating anyone sucky (let's just say that if Wilmer Valderrama calls, tell him you're busy), turning down any "recording" contracts and/or "guest appearances" on soap operas, and enjoying this for what it's worth, but I guess you're going to hear that from everyone else. So I think it would be best to leave you with a few wise words that didn't make sense to me until I turned 16:

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away, know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done

Sing it, Kenny.

No comments: