Saturday, April 26, 2008

Design Crush

Could I be turning into a fangirl for Phillip Lim?






Never mind that it will probably take me ages (including an increase in earning power and a decrease in poundage) before I can get away with wearing his stuff off the rack. I've already gushed about the 3.1 Phillip Lim blouses that I just saw at Nordstrom, and I'm not surprised that his latest spring collection has some precious surprises as well.

This dress, in particular, reminds me of one of the '70s dresses I used to play dress-up with in my Mom's closet:

And the detail on this gown, despite the rusty hue, belongs in the There But For the Grace of God Go I file:




So when I heard that Phillip Lim was going to be one of the featured designers for the 2008 Gap Designer Editions (more information from official Gap press release here), I immediately packed myself off to the nearest Gap store and ogled all the goods. Naturally, out of all the designer shirts on parade, it came as no surprise that my favorite design of all was, indeed, a 3.1 Phillip Lim.


So deceptively simple, so surprisingly flattering. I don't know about you, but I think it's the V-neck and Empire waist detail that gets me on this one; there's no risk of looking like a Styrofoam board or a prissy schoolmarm with a shirt like this. I can totally see this as part of a first-date outfit with skinny black pants or a pencil skirt with heels.

And at the low MSRP of $78, you can snap it up at Gap without having to wait for your next raise.

No comments: