Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Money's Too Tight to Mention

Just when I thought that I had some money to burn... reality intervenes.

I really was looking forward to spending some B-day dinero this week, but somehow I got a hold of some very important bills that I have to pay. That gave me some pause, because I'm suddenly facing some tough decisions ahead - especially when you consider that I am going to be losing some important student privileges once I graduate in three weeks. We're talking about things like rent, health insurance... and an upcoming working vacation in a certain city on the US Mainland, which I am in the process of confirming.

Yeah, I know: Some people would kill to have my problems right now. And as much as I would love to be walking up with a nice little outfit to go with my black robe and Masters' stole, I don't know if I could do that at the risk of going completely broke. Or, worse, broke and uninsured... which was exactly what happened to me, one month after the last time I marched down an aisle with a tasseled hat.

Temporary happiness, or long-term gratification?

Somewhere down the road, I do have to break down and be the grown-up. Home cooking and Netflix have become my friends - along with the Hawaii State Library, Lyon Arboretum, and the yoga DVDs that I inherited from my sister. Most of the things that I don't need have either been thrown away or given away, and I'm more determined than ever to "hit the pan" on the shadows and lip glosses in my beauty stash that have not gone rancid on me.

And yes, I still make sure that I get 5 cents for every bottle and can that I take out for recycling.

There's even a stash of broken gold jewelry that I'm seriously thinking of selling off as scrap metal. Yes, you heard me - and you're probably thinking, But they're still jewelry! To which I say, it's still gold - I'm not expecting much money to come out of it, but I'd rather see it "recycled" by a legitimate local company (none of your Internet recycling thingamajigs for me, thanks) than let it lie unused in my jewelry box. Besides, if I'm going to pass anything down to my kids, I'd rather that they inherit the stuff that actually works.

It's not the easiest thing to go through, I know. But I'm confident that I'll be able to pull this one through. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

we're all facing the slings and arrows of outrageous bills and harsh realities in this economy. just know you're not alone in this - and that it's the interior security and beauty that counts the most. :)

love and hugs, birthday girl - you know you've got it all to succeed, no matter what!