Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Domesticity Reviews: Urban Decay Stardust Eyeshadow in Retrograde

This is how my new Urban Decay Stardust Eyeshadow came to be in my possession:

Not a picture from my own camera, BTW. But still, it's so FURFLE!!!!!!! 
Now, I have to tell you, I wasn't sure about getting away with this, especially with my current life being non-conducive to wearing shimmery purple eyeshadow. But this is a gift from a dearest friend - along with another life-changing item that I need to review soon - and she assured me that this was going to work especially well for me. 

And so... 

Urban Decay Stardust eyeshadow in Retrograde, worn with Sephora Super Shimmer lip gloss in Pink Ballerina
Subtle, yes. But so pretty! And not at all drag-queenish, considering that I just brushed it in dry powder form on my lids without any primer. 

Here's the fun part: I wore this look to the office. Why? Because I can, and also because I needed a little jolt after spending the rest of the semester with barely-combed hair and a perma-scowl. 

The uncensored "fashion pictorial" version of the same.
I was expecting a lot of sparkly purple fallout for the rest of the afternoon, but guess what? After hours of checking papers, stapling midterms, and the occasional eye-rub, I went to the bathroom and found that the eyeshadow was still very much on my eyelids, with no intention of leaving before I decided to wash my face and be done with it.

How could I have taken Urban Decay for granted all this time? 

Retrograde is a true keeper. The UD website describes it as a "dark purple with iridescent shimmer," which is exactly what this product is in real life. The sparkle isn't gritty or frosty, and I could look at this pan all day long and never get tired of the iridescence of it all. One day, when I'm not as pressed for time, I would also love to use this as an eyeliner because this is the kind of purple that really brings out the eyes. 

The first and last UD shadows that I have purchased (one of which was ABC Gum, which is basically the matte-powder version of the MAC Paint Pot in Painterly) were as long-lasting as advertised; it's too bad that I never got around to keeping them, because they were fantastic. After reading the reviews for the Stardust shadows, however, I'm glad that my experience with has been confirmed... and now I want to reconsider the whole brand all over again, at least for their eyeshadows. Can't wait to try more! 

No comments: