Sunday, August 28, 2005

The Case For a Good Weekend

So this weekend I went out dancing with my friends in Waikiki. This is what I wore:

- In terms of makeup, I started out by wearing foundation - I had some samples of Maybelline's Age Rewind, which I was able to test out and use for the night. I usually am not a liquid foundation kind of person, but this went on pretty nicely - which made me think that maybe I should start wearing this stuff more often. I was inspired to do a little smoky-eye look with me going over the initial pencil line with dark eyeshadow, and pale sparkly cream over the rest of the lids and brow bone. Finishing off the look was some light blush and tons of pale lip gloss - in this case, Cover Girl Wetslicks Crystals in Candy, which smelled like cupcake icing and went on smoothly, but added lots of sparkle. (Because the formula for the gloss is kind of buttery and slippy, however, I was worried that it would rub off too quickly. My solution was to apply and blot in several layers of gloss at a time to saturate the pigment on the lips and absorb extra grease.)

- I did my hair at my friend's apartment, where she let me use her Aveda Flaxseed Aloe Spray Gel to add body and hold (and those anime-style flips) to my 'do. Same friend also lent me her Victoria's Secret shimmer-powder brush, which went on the collarbones and forearms.

- The outfit was pretty simple: a pink jersey long-sleeved top, black assymetrical skirt, and strappy Gucci-inspired sandals that I got from Sears not too long ago for $10. Note the long sleeves: For a moment I nearly freaked out because I was one out of only two women wearing long sleeves in the whole club - most of the other ladies were wearing either halter tops or cami-style tanks accessorized with studded belts over jeans.

The music was pretty tight - mostly hip-hop, with some old-school late '80s/early '90s R&B thrown in. The only sore spot is that the DJ must have been compelled to play Black Eyed Peas more than once, which meant I had to hear Fergie singing about her humps at least twice throughout the night. Equally overplayed was Missy Elliott's "Lose Control," which I now think is more annoying than that stupid Ryan Cabrera song about waiting all his life to "cross thiiiiss liiiiine" that I keep hearing everywhere. Note to Missy: Please send Timbaland some flowers.

Overall, it was a good night because I got to spend time with my friends and let out all the stress with all that dancing. And not only that, I even got to dance with a few cute guys who happened to be real gentlemen. (Note to all you menfolk: If you want me to dance with you, there's nothing wrong with just introducing yourself and making small talk. It also helps me when you respect my personal boundaries and thank me when we're finished. Don't come on too strong, and don't even think for a moment that you could tip me like you would do to the women at that other club. Ahem. Also: breath mints - look into it.)

****

On a less smoky note, I've started prowling around the newsstands looking at the September issues for most of the major magazines. I probably don't have enough space here to talk about what I've seen so far, but I can say that Lucky (the Wal-Mart Edition) ended up in my shopping cart this month for the right reasons. I wish I could say the same for the newest issue of Domino, though; not that I hated it - far from it, actually - but if I have to see the words "Brunschwig & Fils" or read about people bitching about their interior decorators not being "fabulous" enough one more time, somebody in their editing staff is going to have to endure the Wrath of Meimei - and not in a good way.

Also, that September issue of Shop, Etc. is really as fugly as people say it is. And the sooner I get to see a magazine cover that doesn't have (a) Jessica Simpson, (b) Jennifer Aniston, or (c) J.Lo with poofy hair and bad eyeliner, the better.

No comments: