Saturday, October 07, 2006

Blackout City, Part 2

For those of you still reading this: Rumor has it that the electricity won't be restored in my home town until October 18. Some neighborhoods do have electricity, but not everyone does - and because there's no electricity, water is also in short supply.

Yes, my parents and friends are all fine. But that doesn't take away the fact that my town was smack in the middle of the storm. Trees and landmarks that have been familiar to me for more than 20 years are now gone, snapped in half like used skewers or popsicle sticks. One of my friends, who works at a biochem lab, can't come to work any more because the offices and labs were flooded - even the refrigerators were knocked down. Important events have been cancelled, postponed indefinitely.

Sad? I don't know. Still, that's about two more weeks' worth of blackout.

No comments: