Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Blackout City

And now my bitter hands cradle broken glass
Of what was everything?
All the pictures have all been washed in black, tattooed everything...

All the love gone bad turned my world to black
Tattooed all I see, all that I am, all I'll be...

- "Black," by Pearl Jam

Just got in touch with everyone in Manila. They're still recovering from the big storm that hit Luzon last Thursday, which lasted well into the weekend. There was a serious landslide in my home town - not in the town proper, but in a village within the town boundaries - that claimed a dozen lives. Electricity has yet to return to certain parts of Manila and the outlying provinces because the power lines have been downed. The highways were littered with the remnants of billboards and uprooted trees. Traffic to the city was so bad that Evie, on her way to work, ended up checking into a resort instead of getting stuck on the road all night long.

Suddenly, blogging about shopping and clubbing in Honolulu seems so pointless.

My parents are expected to get their electricity back by next week. Until then, I, too, will have to go black for a moment.

No comments: