Monday, February 28, 2011

Hello, Oscar Morning 2011!

awards night 2011

awards night 2011 by meimei96 on Polyvore.com

By the time you read this, I am either 1) watching the Oscars or 2) writing out lesson plans for the week. One is a grueling, time-sensitive task that must be done to get things in order... and the other involves writing out my lesson plans for the week. ZING! 

(...And such is the dichotomy of my life.) 

Oh, who am I kidding here? I'm a sucker for awards shows. Hell, I could be watching the 245th Annual Fungal Disease Awards and I'd still tear up while holding an imaginary trophy and whispering "thank you, thank you, thank you" in several different languages. The only time that I didn't enjoy an awards show was when I worked backstage at one during my past life as a PR minion... and even then, there were free cocktails and hors d'oeuvres all around, so it wasn't too bad. 

I don't have much at stake for this year's awards - well, except for my undying love for Colin Firth, which I inherited from Scribey and passed on to my mom (along with my squeeing over Phil Younghusband) - but I do know that I've been preparing that acceptance speech for a huge chunk of my life... along with my outfit, accessories, and possibly even my date. 

(Which reminds me: Hello, Jeremy Renner? My aunt lives in Modesto. You could pick me up at her house next year; I'm absolutely, positively sure that she won't mind. Kthxbai.) 

Anywho, for your consideration: this year's desperate plea heartfelt tribute to the Oscars, created with Polyvore.


The category: Best Screenplay, of course - and if not for any of my originals, I'll still be OK with Best Adapted Screenplay Based on a NaNoWriMo Manuscript. Otherwise, I'm just warming the seat for the actress who will play me in Domesticity: The Movie - and if that does not count as award-winning work, I don't know what else it should be. 

The dress: Usually I'd cite a Filipino designer here, but I wasn't totally feeling what Monique Lhuillier came up with, gown-wise, for this past New York Fashion Week. (Not that she's the only Filipino designer working the red carpet right now - take a gander at Oliver Tolentino's work here - but bear with me.) The next best thing, then, would be this dress from Carmen Marc Valvo - a little too sane and safe, perhaps, but the embroidery and the color keep the whole look from getting too boring. 

The styling: I already love the makeup on the Carmen Marc Valvo model, but I'd go with hair that's a little more polished - somewhere between Grace Kelly in To Catch a Thief and Julia Roberts in Ocean's 11, which are two of my favorite movies. And for the rest of the look, I'll let Grace do the rest of the talking:

Even in this light, I can tell where your eyes are looking. [fireworks] Look, John. Hold them. Diamonds... The only thing in the world you can't resist. Then tell me you don't know what I'm talking about.
The shoes: Again, I couldn't find the exact pair of shoes that I envisioned with this dress; the closest that I could think of would be a pair of YSL Tributes in embroidered satin. But I love these Guccis nonetheless, at least for being embellished without competing with the dress.

And regardless of what happens: Champagne. Can't go wrong with that. 

No comments: