Sunday, January 15, 2006

The Case for Even More Un-Pop-ular Opinions

Don't kill me for saying this (and I've already turned in my U2 fan card because I can't spare $50 on mosh-pit tickets for the April concert at Aloha Stadium) but I like Mary J. Blige's cover of “One” - the duet she did with Bono. Okay, so girlfriend should've stuck more closely to the melody line, but I've yet to hear anyone outside of a karaoke bar investing this song with the right amount of passion and emotion, and MJB nails it perfectly.

Which, on the other hand, is more than I can say for Alanis Morissette covering “Crazy.” Sure, Alanis is no J.D. Fortune when it comes to mangling Seal, but... the heck?

And here's the real kicker: I expected Alicia Keys and Adam Levine dueting on “Wild Horses” to suck, but it didn't. No, really. In fact, I think I like this one better than "Unbreakable."

No comments: