Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Case for the Recap

2005 was the year...

- I left my job and went back to school.
- I started this blog as a way to jot down the thoughts I actually have when I'm not studying/ working/ volunteering.
- I took up crochet again and ended up giving away so many scarves, hats, and afghans as gifts.
- I went back to the gym and was shocked - shocked! - at how much I enjoyed spending my time there in the first place.
- I finished a 10k walk without cramping afterwards.
- I made peace with some friends I've lost, and lost some friends who gave me no peace.
- I had to remind myself that all of us - including yours truly - are doing the best that we can in every given situation, and it would be best if we could just calm down and not be so difficult for once.
- I started to have a good idea about what I'm supposed to do with my life, my home, my money, and my future... and while I'm not exactly going to get the answers soon enough, my hope for the next year is that I'll enjoy the journey anyway.

Now, for the beauty/shopping discoveries...

- Smith's Rosebud Salve: Not just the clear winner (pun semi-intended) in the Battle of the Lip Balm All-Stars that occurred during my vacation, but the only cosmetic product that I wore on my face in Vegas on the days that I didn't feel like wearing any makeup. Once you've dabbed it on your lids and cheeks, it's hard not to believe the hype.
- Bath and Body Works' Brown Sugar & Fig and Coconut Lime Verbena: One is like a sweet, sophisticated French cafe pastry; the other is like a cocktail on a Caribbean beach resort. Both scents are completely unexpected for B&BW.
- L'Occitane Pure Shea Butter: BEST. BALM. EVER. I got the verbena-scented version as a Christmas gift (thanks, Sis!) and I can't get enough of it since.
- Lush Temple Balm in Whoosh: Like a booster shot of Ritalin, without the aftershock.
- Domino magazine: Replaces Allure and Lucky as my go-to newsstand glossy staple. Goodbye boring beauty-mag stories - and hello, envy-inducing photo spreads of chic semi-minimalist apartments!
- Better mid-price jeans for curvy gals: Not just Gap and Old Navy (low rise boot cut for $20 - woohoo!), but also the Levi's Signature jeans at Wal-Mart. Shocking, but true!
- Underwire sports bras (in general): Shockingly effective at reducing bounce while still keeping a clean line under shirts.
- L'Oreal True Match pressed powder in Sun Beige W6: No blotchiness, barely any breakouts, and impeccable skin tone to go with the airbrushed complexion; I still can't believe this worked for me!
- Bare Escentuals' i.d. bareMinerals All-Over Face Color in Warmth: Gives that healthy, “I just went hiking” glow at any time of the day... without looking like you've powdered your face with volcanic soil.
- Jordana lip liner in Tawny: Cheap and cheerful; never needs sharpening; goes great with gloss.
- Almay Whipped Gloss in Nude Reflection: I got this at Longs for half-price (are they discontinuing this stuff? hmmm) and couldn't be happier. The perfect spicy, see-through nude.

No comments: