Thursday, September 24, 2009

Face of the Moment: The Wedding Guest

In order to show you the particular transformative properties of this look, let me show you a "before" picture.......followed by the inevitable "after."

Uncanny!

Seriously speaking, though: This is exactly what I looked like when I went out the door on our way to a wedding in Intramuros. Apart from the blouse that you see here, and the gold hoops, I was also wearing a purple Laura Ashley skirt and the plum-colored heels from SM... and yes, this is the same event where I brought my Secosana bag, too. Sure enough, by the time MamaMei and I got to the wedding, I was also awe-struck by the interiors of the San Agustin Church, especially the vintage chandeliers.


So, in a strangely clairvoyant way, it's a good thing I went with gold and purple tones with my makeup as well.

Prep: MAC Paint Pot in Painterly on eyes; Alba Botanica Hawaiian Passion Fruit lip balm on lips; Smashbox Photo Finish on the rest of the face

Base: Max Factor Erace concealer in Natural under the eyes, followed by L'Oreal Bare Naturale in Sun Beige all over

Eyes: Stila Wheat on browbone for highlight, followed by L'Oreal HIP Bright Shadow Duo in Flamboyant - yellow gold shade on lids, purple on outer corner of the eye. Also used L'Oreal HIP Color Truth Cream Eyeliner in Black to create a cat-eye, which I then followed up with another layer of metallic purple from the Flamboyant duo using a MAC #266 brush.

Lashes: Maybelline Volum'Express Hypercurl Waterproof Mascara in Brown, just like the one on the left. This is the first mascara I've ever bought outside of the States in so many years, and I gotta say this: It rocks. Didn't run, didn't flake, kept my lashes full (but natural) and was pretty easy to remove by the end of the day. And need I mention that the formula looks like melted Toll House chocolate chips when you pull it out of the tube? Gorgeous.

Brows: Smashbox Brow Tech in Blonde and Taupe, from the Try Me Kit. Sounds weird, but I've learned that matching brow powder or pencil exactly to your eyebrow color only makes your brows look heavier. Better to just go one shade lighter - or two - to keep the look natural, but still full. In my case, though, I am definitely leaning towards getting a full-sized Brow Tech in either Taupe or Soft Brown.

Cheeks: BareMinerals All Over Face Color in Warmth. Will I ever get tired of this? Never! :)

Lips: NYX Lipliner in Rose Brown, followed by Clinique Long Last Glosswear SPF 15 in Mystic. As much as I didn't like Mystic at first, it's beginning to grow on me; I remember re-applying this in the car and finding that it gives off this cool, gypsy-ish vibe. I think that Mystic would go swimmingly well with the darker colors from MAC's Style Black collection, or even Chanel Noirs Obscurs... in fact, Mystic would be a great alternate lip color to the superdark shades from both collections.

Hair: Bench Fix Professional Clay Doh on the top layers, brushed out with a boar-bristle brush.

Needless to say, I had fun at the wedding, and I wish I could go sightseeing around Intramuros again. In the meantime, I'm actually more inspired now to wear hoop earrings more often and start playing with makeup again, especially the mascara and the lip gloss. Nice!

2 comments:

kuri said...

You look great! Glad you had fun at the wedding.

The brow color is an interesting thing. It definitely looks much more natural to use a color lighter than the hair color; I usually use a grey taupe.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Kuri! :) I've read somewhere that brunettes can use a blonde pencil to fill in, but I think that taupe (like the Smashbox Brow Tech one) works so much better on darker brows.