Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Domesticity Reviews: Bench Fix Professional Clay Doh Molding Clay

Enough with the hair jokes! It's time to bring in the big guns!


This, my friends, is Bench Fix Clay Doh, now in its new packaging. This 80g tub of hair product cost me PhP90 (roughly US$1.80) at my local Bench store, but it has done so much for my flat hair, especially for my ill-behaved bangs.

As the name suggests, the texture of this product is more clay than dough; there's a mixture of talc, mica, and titanium dioxide (among others) blended into that petrolatum-and-beeswax base, along with jojoba oil to keep things non-crunchy. It's supposed to give your hair a matte finish, too, but it didn't make my flat strands dull at all.

Here's what I do: I take a pea-size dab of Clay Doh, warm it up on my fingertips, and then run it through my bangs to keep them parted. Depending on my mood, I can continue piecing and spiking the pomade through the strands with my fingertips, or - as shown above - I can break up the spikes with my boar-bristle brush for a smooth, classic look.

And this is how it looks like in action:

Flatness = zilch; shine and body = winner. Did I also mention that Clay Doh doesn't weigh my hair down, or give it that oil-slicked finish that most fine-haired folks get from traditional pomade? Exactly.

A little Clay does go a long way, too: not only does that pea-sized dab cover a lot of hair, but it actually keeps said hair in place for hours on end. And I do mean hours: I've seen Clay Doh hold up my bangs for an entire day of errands without restyling, even with the crazy Philippine humidity. I've even fallen asleep with Clay Doh in my hair, and I still woke up with nary a stray strand poking into my forehead.

All in all, I continue to be very impressed with Clay Doh, and pleasantly surprised that I'm able to use a salon-quality product for far less than what I would've paid back in the States. This might as well be up there with my favorite hair products of all time!

No comments: