Saturday, November 28, 2009

Last Song Syndrome: Darling Sparro

Sorry, folks, but I gotta say it: If I wanted an eccentric, openly gay pop-music genius with an excellent voice and amazing crossover appeal, I'd take Sam Sparro over Adam Lambert every single time.

Don't believe me? I dare you all to watch (and re-watch) the video for "Black and Gold," which I've featured on this blog last year. Seriously speaking, now, how can you go wrong with a chorus of backup dancers in top hats and tuxedo tails, recreating Gene Kelly-esque jazz moves? And Sam doesn't even have to wear eyeliner or simulate man-on-man sex acts to get his very point across as an artist. That's integrity for you!

And for those of you who (like me) were thisclose to writing off "Black and Gold" as a mere fluke, here's Mr. Sparro lending his impressive voice to a collaboration with the guys from Basement Jaxx. Funny, soulful, touching, plus a danceable beat and a touch of diva posturing... it's all that anyone could ever want in a pop-music moment, and everything that Glambert could only wish he could be.



Download it now:

No comments: