Saturday, March 22, 2008

Tag? Yes!

Here's what Toya had to say on Thursday:


I don't know if there's anyone else in the beauty blogosphere who hasn't
done these, but if you haven't and you want to ... TAG! You're it!


Being the good (if writer-blocked) blogger that I am, I decided to step up to the plate and get tagged myself.



My 5 MUST NOT-have Beauty Items:

1. Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. Good Lord, is there any way I could NOT put this one at the top? Believe me, I've tried to make this work for as long as I can remember - bending the wand, wiping it with a paper towel - and still, nothing. Smeary and goopy, and I can think of so many other mascaras at the drugstore that work so much better than this.

2. Anything with glitter in it. I love shiny things, and I did own body glitter at one point (RIP Tony & Tina)... but I have to chalk this up to getting older and not looking like I've been assaulted by an army of faeries. Shimmer is where I'm at right now.

3. BeneFit Benetint. Again, another product that I really wanted to like, but the applicator made the whole process look sloppy. I'd rather work with a cream or gel stain that's easier to control on my own - something along the lines of NARS Multiple, Stila Convertible Color, or Tarte's cheek stains.

4. Lush Guantanamo Garden Bath Ballistic. Start clutching your pearls, people, because I can't believe they came out with this either - scent notwithstanding. (And pray that they don't start selling this in the United States, because I'd HATE to see Ala Moana get picketed by right-wing pro-war activists.) Say what you will about where I stand politically, but I steadfastly believe that if you can't bring it up in polite conversation at the dinner table, it definitely has no place whatsoever in your bathroom. You won't see me putting Bible verses next to my toothbrush, or lotions with the likeness of Jesus on them next to my SPF-15 moisturizer... so you definitely won't see me in the shower or tub getting all het up about some political cause I've read on a bath product. And really, if I can't get away from it all in my own bathroom, where else am I supposed to go? Sorry, Lush - I love you guys, but you definitely dropped the ball on this one.

5. Wet'n'Wild Creme Lipliner Pencil in Brandywine #666. And this is the part where the beauty-blog community starts screaming "BLASPHEMY!" at me. This was, after all, my first lip liner as a teenager, and I loved using this as a base for my red lipsticks. Then it got too crumbly and dry on me, and the wood part of the pencil started splintering. Ewww! I ended up switching my lip-liner loyalties to brands in the same price range that manufactured automatic-style pencils, like NYX and Jordana.

And for my 5 Biggest Beauty Crimes...

1. Not wearing enough sunscreen. It ought to be a crime, considering where I live - how sunny it gets outside, and how much walking I do on a daily basis. Yesterday, for example, I went hiking with a friend, and I forgot to slap on the SPF because I thought, well, it was raining, and we were under a rainforest canopy - it's not like I'm going to get sunburned, right? Silly.

2. Not getting a manicure. Oh, sure, I'll insist on getting a pedicure because my feet always look like hell, and if I'm going to splurge on my feet I might as well paint them. That said, it has been two years since my last manicure, and since then I've taken care of my hands with a regular regimen of lotion, cuticle oil, and frequent nail trimming. Plus, my hands get sweaty easily - which explains why I don't own a pair of rubber gloves for housecleaning, either.

3. I do absolutely NOTHING to my hair. Yes, you read me. I have all sorts of volumizing products, but no rollers, no blow dryer, no curling iron. The only "thing" I ever do for my hair is to shampoo, condition, and brush every night, and get it cut every two months. And... that's it. I've even given up on coloring my hair, too.

4. I still rub my eyes whenever they get itchy. It also doesn't help that I'm in the middle of allergy season, so until I could get my hands on some Visine, that means no eye makeup for me.

5. Not throwing out certain beauty products after their expiration dates. Because I'm cheap that way.

Okay, now that I've laid all these out for you... any takers?

No comments: