Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Case for the Makeup Routine

Okay, so I've been reading the latest DeLush Roundtable on the makeup colors that "liven up your look," and I have to admit that I haven't worn makeup as frequently as I have in the last few months, so any kind of makeup that goes on me has the tendency to make me look "alive" anyway. (Or at least less like a long-haired boy.) So here's what has been working on me - dark brown/black hair, golden tan skin, brown eyes - since the beginning of this year.

FACE: I'm too lazy to wear foundation, so after I'm done prepping my skin with moisturizer I take a big fluffy brush to a pressed powder (L'Oreal True March Super Blendable Powder in Sun Beige W6) and fluff it all over my face. I'm a lot happier using this than the other powders that I used to wear more often because - as I've mentioned before - it makes me look more airbrushed. (Still saving up for them Bare Minerals, though.)

EYES: Maybe it's an old habit I've cultivated, but I always start with the eyes because then I can choose which blush and lipstick I can use afterwards. I've mentioned MAC's Crystal in an earlier post, which - again - I can't recommend enough as a great lavender eyeshadow, because it's sheer but iridescent but not Barbie-like. Using the lavender as a sheer base (the better to counteract the dullness on the eyelid), I then use a neutral palette to complement it and enhance my eye color (hence the term "make your eyes pop"): Stila eyeshadow in Wheat (pale cool champagne) on the brow bone and Twig (bronzy brown) closer to the lash line. As much as I love mascara and eyeliner, there are days when I don't want to wear it, which is why the lavender/beige/brown combination works so well.

BROWS: On the other hand, I can't seem to get away from doing my eyebrows. Hence, NYX Auto Eyebrow Pencil in dark brown to fill in dark spots and correct arches. (The brush on the cap helps, too.)

BLUSH: Now we come to one of the two deal-breakers for this look. Because of the lavender I can't go too bright - but if I used a plain neutral blush the whole look would just go muddy on me. Something like Bare Minerals' Face Color in Warmth can work with this, as will L'Oreal's Feel Naturale blush in Mocha Rose - as long as they're applied with a light hand.

LIPS: Another deal-breaker, though more complicated: I know that I can go neutral, but not too light (so as to look like an old lady) and not too dark (so as to look like Teri Hatcher at the Grammys... ew). Lip balm and Jordana's Easyliner for Lips in Tawny make for a great base on which to put on either MAC Smoove (again with the light hand), Revlon Super Lustrous Gloss in Cherries in the Glow (thanks, Kim) or Almay Whipped Gloss in Nude Reflection. Blotting with tons of tissues helps, too.

No comments: