Thursday, May 08, 2008

Randomesticity: What the Meimei Is...

Watching: State of Play - the original miniseries that aired on BBC, not the US remake that's currently being filmed right now. (Dagnabbit - Edward Norton, why did you have to leave that project? And what is up with Helen Mirren playing the Bill Nighy character?) What an excellent piece of work - just when you think you've got everything figured out, somebody pulls a rabbit out of the hat... and you're left there with a massive Whisky Tango Foxtrot expression on your face. So far I've finished Disc 1 (episodes 1-3), and the second disc (eps. 4-6) are forthcoming from Netflix. Well-acted, well-structured, well-written... can't wait to find out what happens next.

Before I go on, however, I'd like to take this moment to apologize to all the John Simm fangirls out there for not finding the boy attractive. Seriously, people - I don't think he's ugly, but he looks way too much like Mr. Happy Scribe that I can't even muster an ounce of hubba-hubba every single time he goes on screen. David Morrissey, on the other hand... dear goodness, I've found him hot ever since the PBS/BBC version of Sense and Sensibility, so I was pleasantly surprised to watch him play a jackass. (The moment when his Colonel Brandon holds out his arm, falcon in hand, and says, "Come," I wanted to say "yes" so badly.) And, of course, I can't let this entry pass without a mention of James McAvoy, who is so ruthless here that I can never imagine him playing the naif in period attire ever again - Last King of Scotland notwithstanding.

Listening to: I've finally put Madonna, Adele, and Leona Lewis to rest (although I did read in one of the papers over here that Leona was vacay-ing at the Big Island with her boyfriend), so I've been adding a lot of reggae on my playlist - in particular "Could You Be Loved" and "Welcome to Jamrock." (Funny, I thought I already OD'd on reggae in college...) Also revisiting two of my favorite music heroes - Jack Johnson and Raimund Marasigan - and discovering "Two Times" by The Blakes on iTunes.

Rolling my eyes at: Bill Kaulitz (um, is the world so deprived of emo boys that we now have to import them from Germany?); the never-ending Democratic primary; the current seasons for American Idol and Dancing with the Stars; the new Oceanic Time Warner commercial with the obnoxious woman from Maui who moved in with her boyfriend because he had Road Runner (eww!)

In need of: A good foundation brush. I bought a Taklon concealer brush at Longs once and I've been impressed with the coverage; at the same time, however, I'm running out of cosmetic sponges and don't really feel the need to buy more.

Craving: A nap and a massage.

Hoping to buy soon: Some dressy shoes, to go with the cap and gown I will be wearing for graduation this Monday.

Planning: Oh, yes, did I just mention that I'm going on a trip this summer? And who knew I could be so excited about leaving Hawaii... even for a tad bit?



...No, I am totally not joking about this. I really am going to Cleveland. (And thinking of ways to kill the time during the five-hour stopover at Portland.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That so rocks in so many ways...