Saturday, May 08, 2010

Shut Up, Preview

Speaking of election madness, here's the May 2010 issue of Preview magazine.


I already have enough problems with Preview as it is, what with the bad copy-editing and the faux-British fashionista parlance (seriously, people, it would be a happy day in the Hacienda if I never see the words body-con and sunnies in my magazines ever again... and the less said about ferosh, the better)... but this - THIS! - is just plain horrifying enough to stop me from buying this issue altogether. 

- The hat. THE HAT. There are a few people in the Philippines who can pull off that hat; KC Concepcion, unfortunately, is not one of them. Paired with the plain white background and the awkward pose, this whole thing takes the whole "homage to Isabella Blow" thing way too far. So unoriginal.

- Speaking of old hat: I am so over Sex and the City that it's not funny anymore... unless you count the inevitability that Scribey and I (and possibly our moms) will be watching SATC2 - in separate theaters - just so we could point and laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. Does no one even realize that the whole thing is actually a cartoon?

Here Lies Love (2CD)- I dread the contents of "Fashion and the First Lady" for two reasons: Either they're repeating their fashion-workshop homages to Michelle Obama and Carla Bruni, or it's going to be yet another article heaping deserved but awkwardly ill-timed praise on The Imeldific. (There is, after all, a reason why the David Byrne/ Fatboy Slim collab Here Lies Love was not received warmly.) The only way I could find this entertaining is if they'd Photoshopped the heads of Shalani Soledad, Cynthia Villar, and Nikki Prieto-Teodoro over the bodies of fashion models wearing clothes we wish they'd wear. Heeee.

- A few months ago, Preview did a fashion spread that was supposed to be inspired by sci-fi, which turned out to be very disturbing. (Folks, I did not need to see a model done up as a Vulcan just so I could get a glimpse of her thong. Highly illogical, indeed.) The same issue also featured a cool-looking pictorial about military style, which got ruined by one picture showing the model straddling a cannon quite overtly - such a horribly cheap and cliched move, if you ask me. So you can imagine the kind of apprehension I now have after seeing the words "Navajo style" on the cover... either that, or I've probably lived in the United States for far too long.

- Um, yet another article on lingerie dressing? Are we running out of ideas now?

Okay, Preview folks, I've already said my piece here. Now get back to work!

No comments: