Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Video A-Go-Go, Part 2 (Short Version)

- Beyonce, "Ring the Alarm": Now, if you were one of those people who are currently demanding a re-shoot for the "Deja Vu" video, I suggest that you draw up a petition to have this taken out of rotation. I mean, really: What is up with the Beyonce-as-Sharon-Stone-in-Basic Instinct scenes? Is she supposed to be kuh-RAYYY-zeeee in this one? And did they use L'Oreal for the makeup? (Hey, I'm serious about that last question. I'm beginning to wonder who B. used as a makeup artist for this one, in case Mally Roncal wasn't available.)

- Diddy f/ Nicole Scherzinger, "Come To Me": Speaking of cosmetics-company endorsements, this one plays like an extended version of a commercial for Unforgivable by Sean John. (Check out the two ladies at the beginning of the video: hello, perfume ad!) Nicole, of course, looks hot - not like the last time I saw her on TV during a presscon for the Pussycat Dolls concert in Manila, where her bronzer made her look like she was covered head-to-toe in cheap "tan" pantyhose material (note to N.S. and the rest of the Pussycat Dolls: tell your handlers to ask for Mally's number) - and Mr. Combs' dance moves are always good for a laugh.

- Fall Out Boy, "Dance, Dance": The song's catchy - if not lyrically pretentious - but I have to admit that I have a crush on the guy who plays the prom date in this one, only because he looks a little bit like the young Jeremy Piven.

- Evanescence, "Call Me When You're Sober": Hey, Amy Lee finally hired the Harajuku Girls! Otherwise, the song rocks, and the video is so... well, Evanescence.

- Black Eyed Peas, "Bebot": As a Filipino I am morally obligated (ha!) to comment, so here goes: I like the first video because it's very evocative of the director's work (he also did the clip for "APL Song") by incorporating Fil-Am history into the video in a way that doesn't feel like you're forced to eat vegetables. But I also like the second video because the woman who plays APL's mom is hilarious, and I had to laugh at the thought of Jasmine Trias hooking up with Sway Penala (no, I'm serious - just watch the party scenes!), so it's hard to dislike. Also, both clips are still more palatable than "London Bridge."

Edited because I have been inspired (ahem) to admit that THIS will always be one of my (many) all-time favorite videos, ever. My love of Steve Perry knows no bounds, yo.

No comments: